The BBC has removed SD simulcasts

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 10 23:54

The BBC has removed SD simulcasts

SD copies of BBC Three, BBC Four, BBC Scotland, BBC News, CBBC and CBeebies have been removed from the Freesat channel list.

All SD channels will be removed completely on 8th January 2024 when BBC will only be viewable on HD and 4K TV/receivers.

About time too. It has taken the BBC years to make all its local channels HD. However, there is still a caveat, many of the regional news studios are still SD meaning the BBC has to upscale the SD signal to HD. You may notice the quality of picture change before local news and return to full HD when the local news has finished. The BBC are getting round to updating its local studios to HD but as with anything BBC, it takes time.

So, all the main channels are now in HD. Sky Mix recently started in HD and rumour has it Sky News will join all the other HD news channels shortly.

However, we are far behind other countries like France who are switching to 4K next week and are dropping HD (and that's on terrestrial too not just on satellite).

We do lag behind. If you want 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos Vision and Sound you will have to use a streaming service for the time being.

The latest TV sets are now capable of showing 8K TV pictures. If we have just managed to upgrade to HD, I doubt I'll see 8K in my lifetime.

And to think... we invented television. Well, the Scottish inventor John Logie Baird did when he lived in my home town of Hastings and had a workshop in the Queens Arcade (the arcade is still there). He produced the first working television made of an old hatbox, a pair of scissors, some darning needles, a few bicycle light lenses, a used tea chest, and sealing wax and glue that he purchased. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Logie_Baird

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 11 10:08

Re: The BBC has removed SD simulcasts

We do tend to lag behind other countries with most things, I was disappointed with the DAB rollout many years back with most channels adopting a very low bitrate to save money. In some cases, FM stereo was transmitted in better quality than the new DAB channel.

Our TV is only HD but I may be tempted to upgrade it at some point in the future, still have the Sky dish and I’ll probably go cable with that at some point as well, although may drop Sky as its increasingly getting more expensive.

I love history, reading about those early inventors like Thomas Edison, Nicola Tesla, and John Logie Baird. I mostly watch classic films and documentaries on the Discovery channel avoiding any soap or reality programs, got to keep the old grey matter occupied.
[Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2023 11 10:18

Re: The BBC has removed SD simulcasts

Keyolder wrote: 11th Nov 2023 at 10:08am I love history, reading about those early inventors like Thomas Edison, Nicola Tesla, and John Logie Baird. I mostly watch classic films and documentaries on the Discovery channel avoiding any soap or reality programs, got to keep the old grey matter occupied.
[Big grin.png]
Same here. I hate soaps, cheaply made game shows (with a hyped up audience wolf whistling and shouting with fake excitement) and any type of so called reality shows. I hate comedy shows that use canned laughter too. Give me a good history documentary, nature programme or a British film any day. [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)