RIP Mathew Perry

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Oct 2023 30 02:44

RIP Mathew Perry

Yes, the acting world lost another one.
He passed at his home.
It is a loss of another human being. I admit that.
My only bitbug is the media treating it like a MAJOR LOSS of a "great actor".
Although he only starred in one big series (Friends), the media is treating it like we lost a BIG star.
One show, a couple of low grade movies parts, 14 times in rehab and multible addictions. Yes, BIG star.

Not to take away from the loss but, he must have not been that great an actor. Yes, one series but that does not make a great actor.
When you get up to the likes of Clint Eastwood, Sir Alex Guinness, Dame Judy Dench and others, just one series don't cut it.
When will the media realize that we lost an actor (not a great one) leave it at that.
When did the acting world become so powerful that it tries to dictate our politics and lives? Endorsements (Oooh! you are nobody till you use this product I endorse) and giving their individual opinion on things. It's like I have to live by their way of thinking.

Yes, it is a loss that we lost another person but please don't blow that out of proportion.

Sorry, rant over.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 30 08:21

Re: RIP Mathew Perry

His life story is not a happy one since friends ended. I just hope he finds some peace now.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 30 09:06

Yes, I agree it is a loss, but in the grand scheme of things not such a great loss. I think it may have something to do with viewing figures, if they think it will boost their ratings, they will show it. Similar to the daily rags, whatever sells papers they will print.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2023 30 20:18

It’s quite disappointing to read a couple of these comments, and the way in which the late Matthew Perry is being portrayed, but I guess by adding it’s still sad or a loss in your post makes up for this….??

Was his later acting career filled with glitz and glamour, no.
Was he in major Hollywood blockbusters, no.
Was he great, yes. To many many millions of people worldwide he was and still is.

He had his demons of which he battled for many many years, even prior to stardom of Friends.
He made up part of the soundtrack to millions of young peoples lives during the 90’s and that can’t be taken away. Friends is now a cult classic, and will continue to be. Maybe even more so now.

The show was huge, it covered everything from birth, death, marriage and everything in between.

You don’t need to be in major blockbusting films to be great, I could pretty much guarantee he or his TV character was more well known during this time compared to some names mentioned here. In fact, if you asked who is Chandler Bing, and who is Alex Guinness most would only know one…!

I like Friends, I’m happy to have it on TV but when I read the posts to Mrs Sparky who is a huge fan she was a bit taken back by the comments.
The media didn’t decide his greatness, the huge following of fans did..!!

My point is simple, was was great in his own right.

Rant over
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 31 17:44

trout39843 wrote: 30th Oct 2023 at 2:44am Yes, the acting world lost another one.
He passed at his home.
It is a loss of another human being. I admit that.
My only bitbug is the media treating it like a MAJOR LOSS of a "great actor".
Although he only starred in one big series (Friends), the media is treating it like we lost a BIG star.
One show, a couple of low grade movies parts, 14 times in rehab and multible addictions. Yes, BIG star.

Not to take away from the loss but, he must have not been that great an actor. Yes, one series but that does not make a great actor.
When you get up to the likes of Clint Eastwood, Sir Alex Guinness, Dame Judy Dench and others, just one series don't cut it.
When will the media realize that we lost an actor (not a great one) leave it at that.
When did the acting world become so powerful that it tries to dictate our politics and lives? Endorsements (Oooh! you are nobody till you use this product I endorse) and giving their individual opinion on things. It's like I have to live by their way of thinking.

Yes, it is a loss that we lost another person but please don't blow that out of proportion.

Sorry, rant over.
Sometimes I think it's best to say nothing.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2023 31 17:57

Nail wrote: 31st Oct 2023 at 5:44pm Sometimes I think it's best to say nothing.
I've never watched Friends, so can't comment. I didn't know who Matthew Perry was until I heard about him on the news.

I'm not a lover of American comedy. Americans have a different sense of humour to us 'older' Brits. My kids like it, they get their kicks from Amazon, Netflix and the like.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 31 19:14

thecaretaker wrote: 31st Oct 2023 at 5:57pm I've never watched Friends, so can't comment. I didn't know who Matthew Perry was until I heard about him on the news.

I'm not a lover of American comedy. Americans have a different sense of humour to us 'older' Brits. My kids like it, they get their kicks from Amazon, Netflix and the like.
I've just done a quick bit of research.

Alec Guinness - as an Actor had 62 different roles.
Matthew Perry - only 57.

However!

Of those only two of Alec's roles had more than one episode which takes his different quantity of 'shows' to 73 total.
Matthew Perry had 16 roles that had more than one episode. His total - 440.

As a writer
Alec Guinness - 1
Matthew Perry - 4

As a producer
Alec Guinness - 0
Matthew Perry - 7

It can all be very tit for tat and there have been a fair few RIPs mentioned on this forum for people that I don't know but that doesn't mean anyone else's sense of loss is any less because of it.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 31 19:16

I feel more saddened by the death of the Notts ice hockey player at the weekend.

I don't follow ice hockey.
I didn't know of Adam Johnson before his passing.

I still feel sad over it.

Feelings just are.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2023 31 22:36

I know our friend Trout did post a reply before the latest crash of which I think you. I can’t remember it in its entirety but essentially yes, you, me and probably everyone else who uses this platform will not be remembered or considered as “great” after our passing.

But, in the grand scheme of things how many people have we reached? Maybe, just maybe in 10 years some kid will think back and remembers fondly something we done, said or helped with during our time and think we were great.. That’s just how things work, we’re not TV or movie stars (that I know of).

Matthew Perry was despite all his demons. Roll model ? Maybe not, but look at most of the great rock so called legends who were in very similar situation but we still call them great.

He did a huge amount of charitable work around his conditions and this so not be overlooked.

He will be missed my many, another young life lost too soon.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 07:47

So sorry all that my opinion offended so many.
It was not ment to be against Mr. Perry but the whole "star" thing.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)