Parents parking

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 16 19:00

Re: Parents parking

Does anyone else remember when this problem was not an issue? In my day [Like.png] most kids walked, cycled, or got a bus. Can’t do that now though. Much too dangerous [Shock.png]
NC1
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 16 19:22

Take photos and then report persistent offenders to the local authority - get them fined - you've already said that accidents have happened - thankfully no children have been hurt....yet!...how are you going to feel if one does and you've not got it sorted? I know it might jar with parents but just point out that it is for the safety of all the children
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 17 12:14

greenjack wrote: 16th May 2024 at 7:00pm Does anyone else remember when this problem was not an issue? In my day [Like.png] most kids walked, cycled, or got a bus. Can’t do that now though. Much too dangerous [Shock.png]
Yes it was a 10minuet walk for me to primary school. No reason why most can't now as they live in the streets around the school.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 17 14:59

NC1 wrote: 16th May 2024 at 7:22pm Take photos and then report persistent offenders to the local authority - get them fined - you've already said that accidents have happened - thankfully no children have been hurt....yet!...how are you going to feel if one does and you've not got it sorted? I know it might jar with parents but just point out that it is for the safety of all the children
Be very careful if taking photos, if there happens to be children in or around the car at the time, then you're opening a huge can of worms.

Wouldn't recommend this, sorry. Best bet is to get the relevant parking authority involved if it is that much of a concern.
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 17 15:30

I gave up on this year's ago ( sad but true )
Road side parking is the council job .
Perents only think of the safety of there little critters and don't see anyone else's.
I have then not parking signs depicting a child holding the sign when the perents aren't parking in front of the the kids are kicking them ...
I got to the point that I had to let it go for my own sanity..
Twodogs
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 18 09:12

Taz wrote: 17th May 2024 at 2:59pm Be very careful if taking photos, if there happens to be children in or around the car at the time, then you're opening a huge can of worms.

Wouldn't recommend this, sorry. Best bet is to get the relevant parking authority involved if it is that much of a concern.
I wouldn’t take pictures either, I’ve seen how aggressive some of these parents become especially if they think you have hard proof of their wrongdoings.
If its outside the school gates I would leave them to it, its not worth the blood pressure imho [zip.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 20 03:02

There is no getting around it. Taking pictures, name and shame in newsletters, putting up bollards and signs, getting verbally abused for asking to park elsewhere and all that I have done.
I am now thoughly convinced their stupidity and ignorance is all due to climate change!
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 20 08:53

It is beyond your pay grade to try and solve the problem. That said, the issue is beyond any single person in the school. It is a quest that will use up time and create friction with parents.

The school should flag their concerns to the LA and get them to act.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 20 10:01

You will never stop parents parking where they want, I gave up along time ago trying to deal with parents, it used to really anger me that parents could parking so inconsiderably.

My kids school have a parking scheme and the poor caretaker sections of the entrance to the school where the yellow zig zag lines are, parents still park right next to the zone and don't care. The poor chap is outside all day every day, rain, wind, snow, ice. I'm sure he has far better things to do with his time than standing there. It seems like a thankless task.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2024 20 11:40

I finally realised why many parents buy huge 4x4's. It is so they can mount high curbs, drive up steep grassy banks to be the other side of double yellows. The area around a Primary school near me looks like a ploughed field.

I had abuse thrown at me during open days (parents could park on the playground, marshalled my the site team) as I wouldn't let one guy park his car outside the front entrance on the drop off point. OK, it was raining but I'd been out in it for hours. He wasn't prepared to walk a few 100 yards in it. Still, it was all water off a Ducks back as far as I was concerned.

Schools all have 'catchment' areas. 80-90% of all school kids live within 5-10 minutes walking distance. The only exception are kids with disabilities who live out of the area and they usually come by Taxi to school anyway.

When I was a kid, I didn't want my parents to drive me to school, it wasn't cool. If I didn't walk or cycle to school on my --- censored word ---, and had mummy or daddy drive me to school, it would make me look like a wimp. I didn't want that.

You had to be tough growing up in my area in those days. [JawDropped.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)