Adverts will appear on Prime Video from February

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2023 30 01:24

Adverts will appear on Prime Video from February

I've just read, adverts will start to appear on the Prime Video streaming service from 5th February. You can upgrade to have no adverts for an additional £2.99 per month (on top of the £8.99 you already pay).

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2023 30 09:06

Re: Adverts will appear on Prime Video from February

thecaretaker wrote: 30th Dec 2023 at 1:24am I've just read, adverts will start to appear on the Prime Video streaming service from 5th February. You can upgrade to have no adverts for an additional £2.99 per month (on top of the £8.99 you already pay).
I know, and from what I've read, Prime Subscribers are a little ticked off about that, to say the least.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 30 10:50

I also read that recently, as a pensioner I must count the pennies so it’s not welcomed. I have Prime but don’t use it that much, I got it primarily for the delivery benefits.

To me wage rises or in my case pension increases on the face of it seem to be a welcome bonus to life’s expenses. But very soon the price of everything else goes up far beyond the threshold of the wage rise or pension increase, so you then become worse off…
[Disappointment.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2024 03 15:57

Just had an email.

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than ad-supported TV channels and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional £2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

Prime membership offers compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including:

Unlimited One-Day Delivery on millions of items across all categories and Same-Day Delivery on more than a million items in Greater London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, and more.
Access to exclusive and broad streaming video content including Prime Video exclusives like The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Boys, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Citadel, The Wheel of Time, Reacher, Wilderness, The Devil's Hour, The Rig, Clarkson's Farm, The Grand Tour, 007: Road To A Million with Brian Cox as well as blockbuster movies such as Air, Creed III, Candy Cane Lane with Eddie Murphy, and exclusive live sports including Premier League Football.
Access to Prime Video Channels, which provides an unmatched selection of subscription channels like Paramount+, hayu, TNT, and more —with no extra apps to download. Customers only pay for the ones they want, and can cancel anytime.
Exclusive deals and shopping events like Prime Day.
Ad-free listening of 100 million songs in shuffle mode and millions of podcast episodes with Amazon Music.
Unlimited ultrafast grocery delivery on orders over £60, with 2-hour slots from Amazon Fresh or directly from your local Morrisons, Co-op or Iceland supermarkets. Available in select postcodes.
Unlimited full-resolution photo storage and 5GB for video with Amazon Photos.
Prime Gaming benefits.
Thousands of books, magazines and comics with Prime Reading.
Unlimited delivery on your favourite restaurants and takeaways with a 1-year Deliveroo Plus subscription, at no additional cost. Minimum order value £25.
Access to a discounted rate of two tickets for £10 at standard ODEON cinemas, or two tickets for £15 at Odeon Luxe. Offer valid Monday-Thursday.

And, you can expect additional features and programs added in the future for our Prime members.

As mentioned above, no action is required from you. If you wish to sign up for the ad-free option, you can click here to sign up. And, as always, if you have questions about your Prime membership, you can manage your account here. You can also view your next renewal date, manage, or cancel your membership free of charge by visiting your account.

Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime.

* Live events, such as sports, and content offered through Amazon Freevee will continue to include advertising. Customers in the Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man won’t see ads in their experience at this time.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2024 05 09:02

For a period, services like Netflix, Spotify etc "solved" piracy by providing very very good value for money. Corporate greed will hurt these companies in the long run and will see a rise in Piracy once again. It's quite simply another go round the merry go round of consumerism.

Easy to access media at reasonable cost - less piracy - increase costs now userbase is large and established - numbers drop off and piracy increases - industry complains - new way to access media at a good price comes along - less piracy - increase costs to end user.... it goes on!