NEW MEMBERS: You need to make at least 1 forum post within the first 7 days of registration to keep your account active.

Holidays

Pull up a chair, make a brew, put your feet up and chat with our members...

Moderators: jay, Dragonrider, Teabee, thecaretaker, inspector

Beboper
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

Holidays

Post by Beboper » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 7:47am

Was going to go away with r lass at Easter but now been told can not take anytime due to building work what building work, felt like a mushroom fed with s---t and kept in the dark I have already carried 13 days over from last year anyone else have trouble with time off

QR code

adonis
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Re: Holidays

Post by adonis » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 7:53am

nope. tell them you've made plans.
I always book my holidays well in advance October done already. not going anywhere yet but they cant say no now and I can always cancel my leave if we don't go away.
quote work/life balance
stand up for your rights
Don't let the school tell you what your entitled to. Check it out and tell them.

craigus
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by craigus » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 8:05am

I agree with adonis, tell them you've made plans.
I'm quite lucky here, most of the work is planned around my time off or holidays.
The business manager would open up if needed too.
FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS

Duncan
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by Duncan » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 8:12am

No problems here i normally go away anytime i want, during school holidays or during term not a problem here.

scrubadub
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by scrubadub » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 8:16am

Feel you need to put your foot down otherwise they will walk all over you. Easier said then done I know. When I first started I took all the manure they flung around. Now I put my foot down. I book all my holidays for the year and give it to boss in September I tell him which weeks I am away but other dates booked I can move about. He appreciates it as he can plan contractors around me.

JohnE875
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by JohnE875 » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 8:43am

13 days carry over is ridiculous. That is nearly 3 weeks. Sorry mate they are taking the peeeeeeeeee! and you need to say NO occasionally. We are not allowed to carry any of our leave over and they will not pay us for it, so it is taken every year regardless.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

lesbedford
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by lesbedford » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 8:47am

say "NO" you are entitle to your holidays that is why you are given them,if i have work going on i either get some one to cover me or HT/DHT have to open up & lock up for contractors while i am away & no carry over allowed here
MAN. UNITED RULE OK.

Timberman
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by Timberman » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 10:59am

As every body else has said, take your holiday this Easter. If the person organising the contractors can not be bothered to tell you what they have organised then its their responsibility to be there. In my school , I organise contractors for this very reason. I will be in for the full Easter break because of the work we have going on - my choice.

Skoolkeeper
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Skoolkeeper » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 11:02am

Get the person who organized the work to cover it and go on your holiday, :coffee_break:

Lucastone1
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Lucastone1 » Wed, 15th Mar 2017, 11:36am

Like the gang have said, you were not informed and you have booked a holiday. Does the school want to pay for a lost deposit?