NEW MEMBERS: You need to make at least 1 forum post within the first 7 days of registration to keep your account active.

Wasting peoples time

Do you live on-site? Discuss your rights, services, grounds, privacy...

Moderators: jay, Dragonrider, Teabee, thecaretaker, inspector

rigsby
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Wasting peoples time

Post by rigsby » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 1:14pm

Hi folks
I really need to get this off my chest, I applied for a job at a private school i ticked all the boxes so i thought i would a least get an interview. I filled the application forms out and did a great covering letter as well and sent it in weeks before the closing date. But no, not a dickie bird just a brief email to confirm that they had received my application and if i didn't hear from them by the 10th i had been unsuccessful.I don't think theses jobs even exist, they have to advertise them by law but the jobs are already taken internally, so why waste peoples time.

QR code

adyjay
Caretaker
Caretaker

Re: Wasting peoples time

Post by adyjay » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 1:46pm

Happens all the time, its worse when you go for the interview and know within 5 minutes you wont get it as its already decided before you get there.

In one interview, the interviewer just kept looking at the clock above me, not a nice feeling!
I often wonder why its easier to complain than praise?
Understanding and co-operation is sadly lacking in schools towards caretakers from the staff etc....
When we are wanted they are all nice, when we ask for something they moan!
Men live their lives in quiet desperation when it comes to the opposite gender!
Don't trust anyone, they will only hurt you!
Its a sad situation really :(

Skoolkeeper
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Skoolkeeper » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 1:49pm

When I was unsuccessful i always asked for the reasons why, as this would help me in future to improve my application for other jobs, I always received a reply and why, anyway if you dont try you will not get and yes these days it is a pain filling out forms, keep looking and good luck for the future. :coffee_break:

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by Drone » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 1:56pm

Asking for feedback on a failed application is always worthwhile. But sometimes there may be a crop of worthy applicants & it is not possible to interview all of them.

Beartaker
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Beartaker » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 4:36pm

I see it happen here all the time. They advertise jobs and have groups in for interviews but they always know who's going to get the job beforehand anyway, usually a friend or relative of someone whos already here. Nepotism is rife here.

broompusher72
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by broompusher72 » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 5:13pm

Beartaker wrote:
Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 4:36pm
I see it happen here all the time. They advertise jobs and have groups in for interviews but they always know who's going to get the job beforehand anyway, usually a friend or relative of someone whos already here. Nepotism is rife here.
after being here a few years the head at the time told me that they had someone lined up for the job and all the interviews were just to go through the motions, but when they interviwed me they basically saw i was better qualified and 20 years younger than the person in line for it so i got it, and the rest as they say is history

Lucastone1
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Lucastone1 » Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 5:36pm

In education in general this happens all the time, not just caretaker jobs. Headteachers/Deputies etc. Some jobs they have to advertise outside. Very difficult to combat. Sometimes you DO get a level playing field. Keep trying. :hatoff:

Keyolder
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by Keyolder » Sat, 11th Mar 2017, 10:15am

Lucastone1 wrote:
Fri, 10th Mar 2017, 5:36pm
Sometimes you DO get a level playing field. Keep trying. :hatoff:
It wasn't meant to be keep trying, it took me 5 interviews over a year before I was finally successful.
Good luck :hatoff:
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

rigsby
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by rigsby » Sat, 18th Mar 2017, 6:07pm

Well stone me, I only got a phone call for an interview two days after the closing date. Nice big private school in lovey countryside however the interview went really badly for me and i don't think i got the job, if it's meant to be it's meant to be. In hindsight i'm not sure i would have liked to work in such a large school, i think you would feel like a small cog in a large machine. Give me a state school any day at least staff know your name and there's more of a community feel.

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by Drone » Sat, 18th Mar 2017, 7:23pm

You are right. I would never have gone back to secondary after working in small SEN & primary schools.