NEW MEMBERS: You need to make at least 1 forum post within the first 7 days of registration to keep your account active.

ALL MEMBERS: Enter our Caption Competition for a chance to win a Duplex tub vac. CLICK HERE for details.
ALL MEMBERS: Please read our advice on choosing and storing your forum password. CLICK HERE to read the post.

Call out? no, 1 hour OT

Discuss Unions, Contracts, T&Cs, Pay, Leave, Performance, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, Dragonrider, Teabee, thecaretaker, inspector

Baz94
Caretaker
Caretaker

Call out? no, 1 hour OT

Post by Baz94 » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 6:59am

Very disappointed this week.

The 1st week of the Easter hols, I booked off as holiday.
Sunday morning at 8am, I am woken by my phone as I get a text.
I check and it is the office manager telling me she had forgotten to turn the timer off for the gates so all week they will be opening at set times and asked if I could go and sort it and turn the timer off as she was in wales and I live 5 minutes walk.
She also says she will speak to the HT to ask about giving me the call out fee (This was agreed for when I was called out to do the alarms when called.

1st day back the office manager says "1 hour OT for coming to turn the gate timer off, that ok?"
I look at her and say "What?"
She repeats it and then says "The HT said it isn't a call out fee, its 1 hour OT"

Now, the way I look at it...

1) It was on my week off
2) it was on a SUNDAY!
3) it was 8AM
4) I had been woken up

so to me, this was a call out!!

I'm so disappointed that the head has deemed this 1 hour OT only!

Some people have said to talk to her as perhaps she doesn't realize but she isn't stupid, she knows I was called in!! The office manager spoke to her!
I get on with the office manager and don't hold her completely at fault.
I also know it would be fruitless to talk to her as she will simply point out that the agreement for the call out fee was to reset the alarm and that she hadn't authorized the call out!!

Recently I ranted about them not paying me a full hour when I did 45 mins work the other week, even tho that work saved them £130 AND that I work an extra hour for free every Friday teaching the kids rugby.

Now, it all truly does end.
I will no longer come out if the alarms go off. The head can.
I will do longer come to school events of which I always open up and lock up. The head can.
I will no longer help at any events
I will no longer do anything free for the school

My daughter leaves in July so now, I will just be a caretaker and do my job in my hours.
It really gets my back up that the ones that earn a fortune do everything they can to save money by restricting us lower paid workers from getting any extra.

I'm not even angry now, just disappointed.
So disappointed.

QR code

EBJ
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Re: Call out? no, 1 hour OT

Post by EBJ » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 9:03am

By the time you pay tax on that one hours pay you will have earned a pittance because some one did not do what they are paid to do in the first place, that was not an overtime job but a definite call out and the HT should be treating it as such.

But hey ho that's school life as a support worker I suppose. :icon_sad:
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

NGJOBS
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by NGJOBS » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 9:29am

Totally agree with you Baz
At my previous school, when I was interviewed I questioned alarm call outs as I had previously worked shifts for more than 30 years and I wanted to get my body clock into some sort of a normal rhythm!
The HT agreed and at that time the school was signed up to the LA call out service. Depending on what day and at what time the minimum charge for alarm call outs was about £130-£200 plus VAT.

When the old HT left I was in a meeting with the new HT and I proposed that I would be the No. 1 call out on the proviso that when and if it happened I would attend at a flat rate of £100 and then deal with any extras eg boarding up etc in that cost and not put in for extra OT. This would provide an instant saving.

I was called out once and the allowance was paid.

Then all hell broke loose when they appointed a BM and trying to save money both the HT and BM tried to coerce me into attending call outs at a flat rate of £13/hr (OT rate) stating that it was part of my job description.

Naturally I opposed, stating the agreement with the old HT. Unfortunately (For them!) this started a slippery slope of what could be described as harassment at best and even bullying. Needless to say enough was enough and I moved to a far more reasonable school where I am both valued and extremely happy working with sensible CO's!

Long may it continue. As we use to say in my old job " you cant do enough for a good guvnor"

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by Drone » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 10:36am

There is often a local agreement with the unions on the rates at which call out time is paid. Worth checking out. If you don`t want to do it any more, check your contract & JD. It may be part & parcel of the job. Do not allow them a chance to bring a disciplinary for breach of contract.

Kirma
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by Kirma » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 2:21pm

Raise it with the HT, I'm sure good sense and fairness will prevail, don't let it make you bitter for the sake of a quick chat, at the very least you'll get things straight for next time.

meaningoflife
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

Post by meaningoflife » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 4:39pm

Hello All, long time reader of the site and thought I may aswell join.

I think I can top that Baz94.

One cold Sunday November night, we are all tucked up bed little one has just settled (7months old) phone rings, have a break in at the site can I attend, bearing in mind that the call woke up little one which annoyed me and the other half and the fact it is 2:30am. So I attend to the site talk to the Police and usual things, and cleared up the glass made door secure and two hours later I was off on my merry way looking forward to my pillow and got in at nearly 5am. and the extra money I have just earned. Yeah right.....pay day comes along and for all my troubles I got a grand total of £5.62 for two hours of unsociable hours work £2.81 an hour....I should have just waited until the morning and got my normal rate which isn't great but a damn sight more than what I was paid. So now my phone is switched off at night once bitten twice shy.

Well anyway as I said been a long timer reader of the site and I do enjoy reading the posts and getting ideas for all you fellow caretakers.

Danm6
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Danm6 » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 6:30pm

Depending on what sort of Head you have then as Kirma said,- Raise it with your Head. However I have been through very similar with previous school and Head. It is the principle and the message that they give out. If he/she is half decent then they should see this and your point / issue.
Overtime is something that is agreed prior by both parties and as you say, you were on hols away and was "CALLED OUT".

Good luck but dont let it grind on you, it doesn't make for a happy working environment.

Dan

Baz94
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Baz94 » Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 7:22am

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I have calmed down, tho a brief chat with the office girl hasn't helped as it has somehow been turned around in her eyes and shes actually peeved with me because I was annoyed.
She said she would have done it without a problem and wouldn't have had the hump with me.
Another annoyance as in February, again, Sunday morning... I got a text about the gate and came in to sort it out and told her sh had done the time wrong and it was opening on a weekend!
I didn't claim anything for this and even told her I wasn't going to mention it to the HT.
yet, she seems to have forgotten this.

BUT.... I have to try to brush it aside.

I have decided to continue with the rugby club as it is something that helps the kids and that was the point in the first place.
And I dare say I will do other things I shouldn't have to do but all said and done, I do like it here and have a good relationship with the staff so I guess it is a case of "It could have been worse"

But as for school events... I still plan to keep away from them.
I have helped as a parent at all of them for 9 years now and the biggest things that gets me are that even though I am helping at the event, Im first in and last out but the biggest thing is that its always the SAME handful of people doing it and the hundreds of others that don't... many of them complain about things so I think its time I stopped anyway.

Thanks for listening to my rant and thanks for the sense you talk! as mentioned, I shouldn't be bitter as it really does make a bad working environment. :smiley:

Care7aker
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Care7aker » Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 10:08am

say nothing, it will happen again, when it does cant come sorry bye bye. this also applies to alarms, there is a reason they take several peoples numbers, you cant sit around awaiting a call out 24hrs a day and holidays too, you simply don't get paid enough (unless you get a good call out standby pay which most companies would offer) its all about availability, as long your available they will mug you off when ever they can and when any call out takes place, at the end of the day regardless if its alarm gate window open, call out is call out, they call you go out! nothing changes till the status quo changes, 10 years has shown me that you got to be firm to get fair treatment and sometimes that means putting others out, as long as they can take the p they will. think most would agree. don't forget the head etc are paid to be available 52 weeks a year too, all teachers are.

adonis
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by adonis » Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 10:49am

Care7aker wrote:
Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 10:08am
say nothing, it will happen again, when it does cant come sorry bye bye. this also applies to alarms, there is a reason they take several peoples numbers, you cant sit around awaiting a call out 24hrs a day and holidays too, you simply don't get paid enough (unless you get a good call out standby pay which most companies would offer) its all about availability, as long your available they will mug you off when ever they can and when any call out takes place, at the end of the day regardless if its alarm gate window open, call out is call out, they call you go out! nothing changes till the status quo changes, 10 years has shown me that you got to be firm to get fair treatment and sometimes that means putting others out, as long as they can take the p they will. think most would agree. don't forget the head etc are paid to be available 52 weeks a year too, all teachers are.
ditto
Don't let the school tell you what your entitled to. Check it out and tell them.