NEW MEMBERS: You need to make at least 1 forum post within the first 7 days of registration to keep your account active.

ALL MEMBERS: Enter our Caption Competition for a chance to win a Duplex tub vac. CLICK HERE for details.
ALL MEMBERS: Please read our advice on choosing and storing your forum password. CLICK HERE to read the post.

coshh risk assesment help

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Fire Safety, Security...

Moderators: jay, Dragonrider, Teabee, thecaretaker, inspector

den9112
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

coshh risk assesment help

Post by den9112 » Mon, 20th Mar 2017, 8:02pm

Hi,i am doing a review of my COSHH risk assesments , and on one of the headings regarding the chemical i am using (pine floor gel) i am trying to work out what to put when stating ,the quantity,the time it it used i am putting down the cleaning hours from 6.30am until 9.30am and then 3.00pm until 5.45pm outside these hours the chemical will be locked away in a metal container in my room,how often will be used daily at these times ,its the quantity i just cant seem to word correctly ,my first thought would be the manufacturers recomendation ,ie 1 part chemical to 5 parts water etc ...would this be suffice as the quantity can vary depending on what job i am doing ...can anyone help ..Thanks

QR code

Breezeblock
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Re: coshh risk assesment help

Post by Breezeblock » Mon, 20th Mar 2017, 8:14pm

I would say you are correct. You can write in the various ratios for different tasks (eg: maybe 1:50 for general cleaning and 1:25 for heavy soilage as an example) but they should be as per the manufacturers instructions and not ones you have made up yourself
We will never see progressive change until people stop believing what they read in newspapers

den9112
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by den9112 » Mon, 20th Mar 2017, 8:25pm

Hi,yes i thought that ,but as a general cleaner but mainly used for my floors the quantity can vary a lot
i suppose i could block capital and stress that manufactures instructions as per quantity to be followed at all times

JohnE875
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by JohnE875 » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 8:46am

Manufacturers recommended dosage as that is the most effective ratio for perfect results
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

Gazza
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Gazza » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 11:51am

I would consider changing the heading to recommended ratio/ dosage- that one word gives room to be flexible. a bit like the message keep out of reach of children on some chemicals. not lock away from children.... the latter is far to restricting
“when everyone agrees with me it’s time for me to quit”

“The real enemy of safety is not non-compliance but non-thinking”

"Working safely may get old, but so do those who practice it".

DanC
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by DanC » Wed, 22nd Mar 2017, 10:07pm

I believe you should also write down an estimated quantity of each chemical store on site. i.e. You buy 30L once a month so including the store room the new stock is in, and the 2 other cleaning cupboards on site (5l in each), you would expect to have a maximum of 40L on site at any one time. Also a good idea to keep records of this with your Emergancy Fire Policy with maps of where chemcals are stored and what and quantities.
22 year old Site Manager of a new-build Academy