NEW MEMBERS: You need to make at least 1 forum post within the first 7 days of registration to keep your account active.

ALL MEMBERS: Enter our Caption Competition for a chance to win a Duplex tub vac. CLICK HERE for details.
ALL MEMBERS: Please read our advice on choosing and storing your forum password. CLICK HERE to read the post.

Accident investigation calls

A board to discuss hobbies and pastimes away from the workplace...

Moderators: jay, Dragonrider, Teabee, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Admin
Admin

Accident investigation calls

Post by thecaretaker » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 3:37pm

Lordy what is going on today. I had a call from a bogus insurance company on my new mobile today (new number so they must have a random dial system), just got home and had another from a company claiming Accident investigation on my ex-directory BT phone at home. Both Indian sounding robots with a Birmingham 0121 number.

Am I just unlucky to get 2 in one day?

I've added the number to the blocked list, but I'm sure that won't have much affect. Any tips on how to stop these rouges from wasting my time and invading my privacy?

Also, if I turn off sending my caller ID when I call somebody, would that mean their phone wouldn't recognise it was me? Just thinking about family members knowing it is me ringing them.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to mobile phones....

QR code
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Re: Accident investigation calls

Post by Drone » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 3:59pm

I do not answer any number that I do not recognize. I use only my mobile. My land line is disconnected for calls. Seems to work for me.

Dragonrider
Admin
Admin

Post by Dragonrider » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 4:17pm

If you turn caller id off, then yes, no one will know who is calling, even your family.

You can block numbers on your phone, certainly on your mobile, not sure on the home phone though.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free!

madleee
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by madleee » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 4:58pm

Ask them if they handle harassment claims.
Those with the narrowest of minds have the widest of mouths

Danm6
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Danm6 » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 6:18pm

When I got my new number a few months ago I kept receiving text messages from "DHL" or so it said on the sender. The text said I had a parcel due today but I had to pay some extra fees and to go to a web site to pay this so the parcel could be delivered.

The swines.

Watch out people

Taz
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Taz » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 6:53pm

If you're on Android, go to the playstore and search for "should i answer". The icon is a confused looking octopuss. I installed it a few years ago and i get very few of those calls. Basically if a number calls you and it has been negatively reviewed, it just cuts it off. Occasionally they will get through to your voicemail, but not very often.

If a nuisance call does make it's way through, make sure that you rate it afterwards and add it to your blocked list. Its free (or at least it was) and really is worth downloading. I was getting 3 or 4 a day sometimes.

Not sure if its available on Apple, but sure there will be something similar.

Also a tip if you do end up speaking to someone about your accident, ask them which one it was that they are referring to. Some are getting to the point where the response is "Ok we'll take your number off the list then" and hang up.

Beartaker
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Beartaker » Thu, 20th Apr 2017, 7:14pm

My better half and my sister in law had these calls this afternoon both within 20 minutes of each other. Both from different 0121 numbers. Very strange.

UnderPaid
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by UnderPaid » Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 8:13am

If your'e not busy at the time i find it fun to keep them talking for as long as possible then tell them you're not interested and ask them how they feel about me wasting their time?
Might sound petty but it amuses me :icon_badgrin:
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.

mapper
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by mapper » Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 8:26am

Yer, great fun. I had a very funny muck about for 10 minutes, which culminated in me confusing the lad about the very nasty incident i'd had with a pair of toenail clippers. Well he said i'd had an accident... Not that I had.

lesbedford
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by lesbedford » Fri, 21st Apr 2017, 8:39am

I put my phone on loud speaker & carry on with what i am doing & let them carry on talking & just answer as an when i need to to keep them going then when i have had enough just say sorry not interested, Taz i found that APP "Should I Answer" & have installed it & as far as i can tell it is still free
MAN. UNITED RULE OK.