NEW MEMBERS: You need to make at least 1 forum post within the first 7 days of registration to keep your account active.

Facebook

A board to discuss hobbies and pastimes away from the workplace...

Moderators: jay, Dragonrider, Teabee, thecaretaker, inspector

EBJ
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Facebook

Post by EBJ » Wed, 15th Feb 2017, 6:30pm

I have recently gone back on facebook as the first time I tried it I did not rate it much, but now every one appears to be on it so I am back on again, and I also belong to a few for sale and want sites and I am amazed at what people write to sell something or do not give all the info out on the item.

The one that makes me laugh and is the add showing a glass flower vase for example and the wording saying "£2 if gone today collection only as I need the room", what ! how much room is a glass vase taking up for goodness sack, then there are the ones "Car for sale £300" with no further info such as make, model, mot, service history etc, do these people really expect to sell items like this.

Then there are the lazy ones with "Can any one tell me what time Asda are open in Boston ?, Ring them up for Christ sake or check it out on line what the hell is up with these people I wonder if they are CO's, any one else have a view about these for sale and want adds ?.

QR code
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Re: Facebook

Post by Drone » Wed, 15th Feb 2017, 7:13pm

I have abandoned all social media. Cannot be doing with the nastiness & bile. This is the only forum site to which I contribute. It has remained, over the years, pleasantly troll free.

Bazza2764
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Bazza2764 » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 4:20am

I used to have Facebook.. wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Data collected and other permissions you have to grant just to use it offend me. My information is my information and they ain't getting it.

I have an untold story about Facebook I can never put on a forum that would shock anyone I told. I know that's a tease but it would be career suicide to tell the story

mapper
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by mapper » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 9:10am

I have no interest in the 1000th photo of your child eating, sleeping, dropping a stick, bumping into a rock, smiling at a bird or just sitting in a chair watching cbeebies.

This is but one reason why I can't bear it! ... Sorry to be such a grump :hatoff:

JohnE875
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by JohnE875 » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 9:18am

I use FB but only a couple of closed ex-forces sites. Helps keep in touch and to find old friends. This site of course but that is it.
Can never understand why people want to post what they are eating and sending a picture of it. I DONT CARE.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

HarleyPete
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by HarleyPete » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 12:27pm

I mainly use it to keep in touch with family. I must admit that I have a long long list of games that I've blocked over my time on it. Strangely enough EBJ I was up in Lincolnshire a few weeks back on a Saturday. My youngest moved to Skegness, so I had the lovely job of moving all her stuff up there.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"

EBJ
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by EBJ » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 1:26pm

HarleyPete wrote:
Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 12:27pm
I mainly use it to keep in touch with family. I must admit that I have a long long list of games that I've blocked over my time on it. Strangely enough EBJ I was up in Lincolnshire a few weeks back on a Saturday. My youngest moved to Skegness, so I had the lovely job of moving all her stuff up there.
You should have PM'd me Pete and I would have given you a helping hand, if she has a problem let me know and I will get there a.s.a.p. for you to help her out, if you want I will PM you my mobile number to give to her, I know when my daughter who at the time was living in Slough came home to a burst water pipe she was in a panic on the phone to me, luckily I had friends down there who I rang and they were there in 10 minutes sorting it all out. Its a problem being a parent when you are so far away and they need help then and their. :hatoff:
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Dragonrider
Admin
Admin

Post by Dragonrider » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 1:58pm

Social Media! Normally I'd agree as to what a waste of space it is....

However, I've found that posting to Twitter gets my computer fix it business "out there" but I'd never use Facebook or so I thought.

I do like playing a couple of Hidden Object games and found that if I posted to SM, I'd get extra bonuses. So whilst I'll never post these updates to Twitter, I did set up a Facebook account to let me gain these bonuses. I don't post to it otherwise but if anyone wanted to Friend me, I need 5 such folk to enable an extra reel on Scatter Slots which I like to play as it doesn't cost anything and I quite enjoy the game. :icon_redface:
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free!

Beartaker
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Beartaker » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 2:07pm

I'm not on any social media sites. I'm just not interested in other peoples lives in that way and my life certainly isn't interesting enough for people to want to read about.

I'm on this forum and a fishing one and that's it.

UnderPaid
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by UnderPaid » Thu, 16th Feb 2017, 2:46pm

Totally apposite, always on Facebook and twitter. I use Facebook for family and close friends, you do get some people who post pics of pets, kids and food all the time but i just un-follow them so i don't see their posts unless i go on their page but are still friends with them.
As i play a lot of xbox games (mainly Minecraft) i use Twitter for that. I can keep up to date with game developers and often get to play games in the Beta testing stage long before they are released to the public. Also am friends with a lot of fellow gamers from all over the world who i play with online.
But as i am a moderator on YouTube live chat and Twitch.tv for a YouTuber with over 800k subscribers and i'm often in his videos and live streams i get a lot of kids following me on Twitter so account is anonymous. Just use my gamer tag.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.